Our purpose is to train Heavy Equipment Operators. We are an approved school with a very high standard.
Our program is hands-on-equipment operator instruction. We teach our students how to understand the equipment – preventative maintenance and safety are an important part of the job.
Training Objectives:JVI students will receive specialized training in a wide variety of areas relating to heavy equipment, including:
- Safe operation of heavy equipment.
- Daily pre-op inspections.
- Basic operations of diesel engines.
- Loading, unloading and security of equipment on flatbed trailer.
- Safety precautions in and around the equipment.
- Basic fundamentals of hydraulics and hydraulic attachments.
- Basic maintenance of equipment.
- Occupational Health and Safety Regulations.
- Importance of knowing about and operating equipment safely.
- Emergency first aid.
- Demonstrate how to get an original grade.
- How to read a grade stake.
- Importance of offsets.
- Importance of sub-grading.
- Difference between standard and metric readings.
- How to check a grade with a laser.
Applicants must have or obtain:
- Hold a grade 10 certificate or demonstrate grade equivalency.
- A recent Provincial Medical Form with Vision Test included.
- Students may be required to submit to random drug testing
Most importantly, JVI students must have a willingness to learn and develop themselves into highly qualified professional heavy equipment operators.
Driving with skill is No accident – the road to learning starts here at JVI
Course fees include all written course materials. All other costs including the purchase of safety gloves and CSA approved safety boots are the responsibility of the student.
“Financial Assistance may be available through the Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning and Skills PEI through the Canada-PEI labour market agreements ”