Our purpose is to train Heavy Equipment Operators. JVI is an approved school with a very high standard.
Our program is hands-on-equipment operator instruction.
We teach our students how to understand the equipment – preventative maintenance and safety are an important part of the job.
JVI students will receive specialized training in a wide variety of areas relating to heavy equipment, including
- Safe operation of heavy equipment.
- Daily pre-op inspections.
- Basic operations of diesel engines.
- Loading, unloading, and security of equipment on a flatbed trailer.
- Safety precautions in and around the equipment.
- Fundamentals of hydraulics and hydraulic attachments.
- Basic maintenance of equipment.
- Occupational Health and Safety Regulations.
- Importance of knowing about and operating equipment safely.
- Emergency first aid.
- Demonstrate how to get an original grade.
- How to read a grade stake.
- Importance of offsets.
- Importance of sub-grading.
- Difference between standard and metric readings.
- How to check a grade with a laser.
Course fees include all written course materials. All other costs including the purchase of safety gloves and CSA-approved safety boots are the responsibility of the student.
“Financial Assistance may be available through the Department of Workforce and Advanced Learning and Skills PEI through the Canada-PEI labor market agreements ”
Applicants must have or obtain
- Hold a grade 10 certificate or demonstrate grade equivalency.
- A recent Provincial Medical Form with Vision Test included.
- Students may be required to submit to random drug testing
Most importantly, JVI students must have a willingness to learn and develop themselves into highly qualified professional heavy equipment operators.